DScaler Forum Index DScaler
Support Forum for the DScaler project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacements for DScaler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xarast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Replacements for DScaler Reply with quote

The traditional DScaler seems to be discontinued with many bugs and additional issues present. Are there any alternatives that offer the same functionality?
RobM
Hardware Support Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The traditional DScaler seems to be discontinued with many bugs and additional issues present.

There are problems if you use a card that is not supported or a card with DShow drivers that are not compatible, in most other cases DScaler seems very hard to beat.
Quote:
Are there any alternatives that offer the same functionality?

Some people are happy with K!TV, this seems the best alternative. I admit I have hardly any experience with it, DScaler is all that I need.
http://www.kastortv.org
venomousmule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

I was a little confused by the first post. As far as I could remember, DScaler has been the best, most stable, software for analog tv card operation. Better than any proprietary software I had tried for my ATI TV Wonder. To this date anytime is see "ATI MMC" I get shivers.

Oh and did I point out that this is a free product supported by people with a lot of time and effort and money?

I'm not even a contributor in any way to the DScaler project but I found Xarast's comments uninformed and rude.
Klaus_1250

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisTV is one.
Felix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see KTV as the best software for France and Secam - as dscaler often has probs working with cards/tuners which were made for the French market - having nearly no French develloppers.

For analogue TV with best quality there is no alternative too an SAA7134 card using it under dscaler. Even the very new TM6000 chipset - doesn't reach the same Picture quality. As well the integration of Nxtvepg is absolutely great - much better in my eyes than in ktv

However Dscaler can nonetheless not compete with quality you get over satellite or DVB-T.

The Dshow implementation of Dscaler is a bit buggy though. It works with WDM drivers that are correct - but as they are often out of the norm - then Dshow will likely refuse to work very good.

Dscaler5 Filters are the best ones for 1080i playback when used with Coreavc. However it seems to me that at the moment there is not much development. The develloppers list on sourceforge are quiet.

I hope that in 3-4 years, when analogue tv will die out in Europe, dscaler will regain the performance crown for digital tv.

For dvb-t try dsp-worxs dvb open show filter. This is for the moment the best interface.
512MB Ram (400Mhz, CL3 - 64MB reserved for onboardgraphics)
Asrock SIS 741GX flashed to 741 with 1.03EH performance bios
Xarast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that DScaler 4 is not perfect. There are still outstanding issues with the software, especially with newer computers. If you happen to have a configuration it doesn't like then the chances of getting a fix or support are next to none.

DScaler is still referenced often as the best piece of software for general deinterlacing. However, software as complex as this can't be expected to perform adequately after the support stops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DScaler Forum Index -> DScaler Support Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: