DScaler Forum Index DScaler
Support Forum for the DScaler project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use this filter to de-interlace a Nova-T PCI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DScaler Forum Index -> DirectShow Filter Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pootle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Can I use this filter to de-interlace a Nova-T PCI Reply with quote

By the sounds of it, I should be able to use this filter to de-interlace the output from a Nova-T PCI card before it hits my Radeon display card.

Is this right?

I'm willing to put some time into sorting it out, but I want to know if this is the right thing to try first.

While the Nova-T cards give great quality pics, they don't de-interlace at all, so movement screws up the piccy a lot.
The Goose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Nova-T display AND capture... Reply with quote

The Nova-T uses the video de-interlacer from WinDVD (which it installs) and although this may have changed in the latest driver/app package (download from www.hauppauge.co.uk) the DISPLAY functionality of the Nova-T is flawless... whether viewed on progressive (monitor, lcd) or interlaced (TV)

If you're talking about the capture (record) side of it, then you have to play back the captured mpeg stream through a de-interlace ready app like PowerDVD or similar...

But what I think you might be asking is what to do with the mpeg stream if you want to archive it by processing it? In this case you have to use a de-interlacer in the transcoding process...

Give us a shout if you need more help cos I've had the Nova-T for a while and messed about with the TechnoTrend and Hauppauge drivers and also use a few little programs that corrects the transmission stream to a program stream to synch the video back on a recorded stream... and then I've fooled about with a bunch of de-interlacing filters...

But for playback, you really shouldn't have any problems getting fully progressive video... I'm pretty sure the latest drivers from Hauppauge do away with the dependence on WinDVD and have internal de-interlacing filters for the proprietary TV app.

Anyways, take it easy.

The Goose
Pootle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Nova-T display AND capture... Reply with quote

The Goose wrote:
The Nova-T uses the video de-interlacer from WinDVD (which it installs) and although this may have changed in the latest driver/app package (download from www.hauppauge.co.uk) the DISPLAY functionality of the Nova-T is flawless... whether viewed on progressive (monitor, lcd) or interlaced (TV)
The Goose

Wow mine never was - the still image is excellent, but once it moves I get serious problems with interlace - progressive artifacts. I've recently changed to a nebula card, and while its de-interlacing was slightly better, it's still very poor compared to a standard TV - fast moving credits for example are totally illegible.

Did you tweak anything to get interlacing so good?

I'm running a radeon 9800 into an LCD projector at (usually) 75Hz although I have run at 100Hz with no real difference.

If I plug an STB into the s-video projector input, moving objects are a lot clearer, but still images are a great deal worse...
Moose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that. The NOVA-T has very poor deinterlacing. If I watch a sporting event like Formula1 then it simply becomes unbearable to watch.

I've got a DLP projector hooked up to my PC and would love to use extra CPU cycles to deinterlace the MPEG2 stream for a better progressive display.

Please let me know if you make any progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DScaler Forum Index -> DirectShow Filter Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: