DScaler Forum Index DScaler
Support Forum for the DScaler project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVTC support.. please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DScaler Forum Index -> DScaler 5 Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKANET

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: IVTC support.. please Reply with quote

Hi John, I'm not too sure if you remember me, I'm the ex-AVS Forum Moderator who put you in touch with Hauppauge several years ago.

Anyway, I've been using the latest mpeg2 build that had IVTC support (link below) for several months now to playback DVR HDTV recordings from cableTV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11465155&postcount=271

This works perfectly, however, it doesn't have any deinterlacing for video content other than bob/weave. So, unfortunately, it makes it tough to use this decoder as a universal HDTV DVR video decoder to handle I was hoping your team could please consider adding IVTC to your latest mpeg2 decoder.

United States cablecard users can especially take advantage of IVTC due to playback problems with Premium HD channel recordings switching framerates (hard/soft telecine switching). Even some of the newest display adapters on the market have a hard time handling these types of recordings. Since my Nvidia adapter has problems with this type of recordings, I have no choice but to use the IVTC mpeg2 decoder. Unfortunately, I have to switch decoders when watching video content; which is a hassle.

I know, I realize that IVTC mod was built on an older version of dscaler (release 0.0.6 from 2/06). I realize its easy to do. However, the longer you wait, the harder it will be to integrate the IVTC code.

I really appreciate your consideration to do this. Needless to say (but saying it anyway), adding IVTC will make dscaler mpeg2 decoder irreplaceable. There is a real need for this functionality for cablecard users (and other people who have access to bitperfect cableTV DVR recordings such as me). With today's display cards, it's hit or miss to play these TV channel recordings.

-Michael
JohnAd
Founder & Lead Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: IVTC support.. please Reply with quote

MKANET wrote:
Hi John, I'm not too sure if you remember me, I'm the ex-AVS Forum Moderator who put you in touch with Hauppauge several years ago.

I remember, Hi again.

MKANET wrote:
Anyway, I've been using the latest mpeg2 build that had IVTC support (link below) for several months now to playback DVR HDTV recordings from cableTV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11465155&postcount=271

This works perfectly, however, it doesn't have any deinterlacing for video content other than bob/weave. So, unfortunately, it makes it tough to use this decoder as a universal HDTV DVR video decoder to handle I was hoping your team could please consider adding IVTC to your latest mpeg2 decoder.

United States cablecard users can especially take advantage of IVTC due to playback problems with Premium HD channel recordings switching framerates (hard/soft telecine switching). Even some of the newest display adapters on the market have a hard time handling these types of recordings. Since my Nvidia adapter has problems with this type of recordings, I have no choice but to use the IVTC mpeg2 decoder. Unfortunately, I have to switch decoders when watching video content; which is a hassle.

I know, I realize that IVTC mod was built on an older version of dscaler (release 0.0.6 from 2/06). I realize its easy to do. However, the longer you wait, the harder it will be to integrate the IVTC code.

I really appreciate your consideration to do this. Needless to say (but saying it anyway), adding IVTC will make dscaler mpeg2 decoder irreplaceable. There is a real need for this functionality for cablecard users (and other people who have access to bitperfect cableTV DVR recordings such as me). With today's display cards, it's hit or miss to play these TV channel recordings.

OK fair point, the orginal thrust of DScaler5 was to get a flexible path for IVTC and deinterlacing in software. I never got it working well enough with the approach I tried originally which was lots of DMO plug-ins doing each stage in the process. It ended up being too slow with too much data transfer and trying to imporove both the IVTC code and the deinterlacing code at the same time was probably a bit ambitious.

So maybe it should be back to the drawing board, but I'd need help if I was going to get this going again.
From what I remember the the version with IVCT was pretty hacky and was going to take a fair amount of work to tidy up, but may I should do that first.

John
MKANET

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I currently use the latest publicly available MpegVideo.dll and respective GenDMOProp.dll files (posted in the AVS Forum thread link above).

IVTC works better than you might think. It's the only way my machine can do realtime IVTC via an mpeg2 decoder. ffdshow+avisynth (TIVTC or Decomb) is just too slow; better suited for dedicated avisynth non-realtime tasks.

I use the IVTC mod (based on dscaler alpha version 0.0.6) on a daily basis for watching cableTV shows. The biggest problem I have with it is the lack of advanced deinterlacing. However, even if it did have advanced deinterlacing, it seems to have a problem detecting video content; and, switching to deinterlacing mode when necessary. Also it seems that the decoder wasn't tested with progressive mpeg2 video. If I don't use YUY2 colorspace, I willl see white dots when playing back 720p video. So, I have no choice but to use it in YUY2 mode.
JohnAd
Founder & Lead Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue for me at the time was that 3:2 doesn't help me that much and plugging in 2:2 to that code wasn't going to be easy. My motivation was/is decent 2:2 detection. Having said that something is better than nothing.

Also it would certainly help sorting out issues if I had a sample of the problematic 720p. Where do you see the white dots?

if you can get a 5mb chunk and send it to

adcockj at users dot sourceforge dot net

That'd be great

John
MKANET

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit... I'll send you a private email.. Sorry, I didnt see your email address until afterwards..
MKANET

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John last I chatted with you several months ago, you were going to give your best shot at integrating ivtc into the latest dscaler build. What ever happened with that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DScaler Forum Index -> DScaler 5 Support Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: