DScaler TV Viewing Application
The DScaler TV Viewing Application (also known as DScaler 4) is a piece of software that captures video, processes it, and scales it for presentation on a projector or computer monitor. DScaler implements highly sophisticated algorithms that work in real-time to provide PC owners with image quality matched only by very expensive equipment.
In order to get the most out of DScaler 4 you will need a supported capture card.
DScaler performs a variety of functions:
- Grabbing video from a DVD player, game console, laserdisc, or VCR in a reliable fashion, in either analog or digital form
- Deinterlacing video source, such as sports and news produced with a video camera, as well as console games
- Detecting and removing 2:2 pulldown (PAL) and 3:2 pulldown (NTSC) for movies and filmed television programs
- Reducing video noise on analog sources
- Automatically calibrating video capture cards for optimal brightness, contrast and color
- Manipulating video through gamma, sharpness and other filters
- Viewing still images
- Reducing judder and other video timing anomalies
- Presenting all of the above in the desired resolution and aspect ratio.
Why do I need DScaler?
Video fed in from external sources is interlaced and if this interlacing is not taken into account when displaying the video on a PC nasty artifacts can often be seen. A good description of the issues involved in converting interlaced video into progressive scan as required for PC use can be found here.
We also have some screenshots which illustrate the issue here.
Who are the developers?
Lots of people have contributed to the project a list of the main developers can be found here. We are also grateful to everybody who has submitted patches, bug reports or has helped out on the various forums, some of those poeple are thanked here.
What do others say about DScaler?
We maintain a list of reviews and articles about DScaler here.